Q & A - August 16 E-News2
Q: Anyone here have a lot of medication allergies?
- Is a scratch test the only way they will test for medications? That’s all they will offer me and it sounds like a terrible idea ??
- Do they put Tegaderm or any tape type product over it? Ugh again, terrible idea.
- They have a blood test for other allergens but by what I have been told they don’t do that for medications.
- I don’t have any options left for meds, I feel screwed. ??
- I had the blood test type done when i was having allergic reactions to what they thought were meds and they found nothing. They took one look at the skin on my back and said no chance on doing the scratch test. Too hard to tell the difference between a reaction and red spot from pressure, rubbing, scratching etc. The allergist had never seen any kind of ichthyosis at all and was kind of fascinated and dumbfounded at the same time. I think he took at least 100 pictures of my skin.
- They could test for medication in a blood test? The primary told me there was not a test. My back is pretty clear, but most of my reactions are anaphylactic, so I’m super hesitant. ??
- I’m not sure what to do if I don’t have a single antibiotic left other than IV.
- Honestly, I'm not sure if they could test for allergies to medications in the blood test. It was probably just the standard test they do. I was on quite a few meds right after a hip replacement at the time and the allergic reactions came out of no where. Mostly facial edema and general itching. They thought it was codeine, then the antibiotics, then my epilepsy meds. Stopped them all and changed them all, changed my soaps and everything and it continued. My primary care physician tried to "reset" my system several times by giving me prednisone and a few other drugs I can't remember and that didn't work. Ended up taking Allegra everyday for 6 months until I finally got sick of it and stopped taking it. Whatever was causing it wasn't happening anymore. I am still allergic to ibuprofen though.
- I'm allergic to Neosporin. I break out in itchy hives. Also looks like certain Bandaid adhesive, same reaction. No need for a blood test.
- Is it possible even though more time consuming that they can do it one or two at a time so it’s not a ton of reactions if problematic? Are you allergic to Bactrim? I got a terrible reaction on that one, hives and throat started swelling.
- I have a lot of allergies to medication that I only found out after taking the meds themselves. My allergist did just do a test to see if I’d have a reaction to the Covid shot tho. It was a combo of scratch, under the skin, and then oral testing.
- Any infection at all caused by scratches? Any sticky bandage out over it or left open?
- No, the scratches aren’t that deep. Very minor. It’s just a little prick test. Barely makes a mark.
- I had the blood test type done when i was having allergic reactions to what they thought were meds and they found nothing. They took one look at the skin on my back and said no chance on doing the scratch test. Too hard to tell the difference between… See More
- I’m allergic to all the major antibiotics