2002 National Conference Highlights
Seattle, WA - July 5-7, 2002
In early July, over 225 members traveled to Seattle to learn, meet and have fun with other families who have been affected by ichthyosis. It was quite an experience for everyone. For some, this was the first time they had ever met another person with this disease. For others, it was a reunion of old friends. By the end of the first night, it didn't matter who knew who. The group was one big, happy family. Here are some fun highlights to share about the conference:
- Members came from all over the world: Belgium, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Bermuda, Switzerland, New Zealand, Pakistan, Canada and United States.
- The information sharing between parents and caregivers was amazing. Families were constantly talking with each other.
- The private one-on-one appointments with physicians who specialize in ichthyosis was invaluable. For some people, this was the first time a specific diagnosis was given as to what type of ichthyosis affects their family.
- The programs and faculty were great. The breakout sessions addressed the areas of most interest and concern to people with ichthyosis.
- The teen and pre-teen programs were a great way to share stories, coping techniques, and have fun with other kids who share the same experiences.
- The child care room was great fun for the little ones. Some children couldn't wait to get back to the room after lunch!
- Our closing speaker, David Roche, was truly inspirational! His approach to living with a facial disfigurement was very uplifting.
- Everyone grabbed their dancing shoes on Saturday night and boogied-down to popular party tunes. It was great to see the young children having so much fun.
- Besides the plentiful gift bags of lotion samples and other goodies, every guest received a conference t-shirt.
- There were over 100 give-aways for the raffle!
- The organized tour of Seattle was a perfect way to end the conference. It provided the opportunity to see the city's beautiful landmarks while socializing with new friends.
FIRST is extremely grateful to our generous corporate and individual donors who supported the conference.
Please take a moment to recognize the list of conference sponsors.